Short ribs. Proving that size doesn’t always matter. At least not when it comes to the length of your rib bone. It’s one of the most delicious things you make and in truth is actually pretty easy to do. If you’ve had short ribs before, this version is a little different but it’s why I think it’s what makes it the best braised short ribs recipe around.
The two most important elements of having perfect short ribs are tenderness and flavor. You want meat that just falls off the bone when you use a fork and that comes by cooking it “low and slow”. You can throw it in a slow cooker just fine but my preferred method is to cook it in a dutch oven and toss it in an oven for 3 1/2 hours. Finishing it off with the hoisin sauce really completes this dish to perfection.
A few notes:
1. You can also cook this at 200 degrees for 8 hours, which is what I’m doing today since I won’t be back for 8 hours.
2. If you don’t have a dutch oven, don’t let that stop you. Dutch ovens are great because you can use it to cook on the stove and then use the same piece of cookware to place in the oven. You can also make this by simply transferring from a pan to an oven safe dish (or just cook in a slow cooker).
3. I should have said “a couple notes” since really I had only two notes there.
- 4-6 bone-in short ribs
- Salt (sea salt or kosher salt preferred)
- Pepper (fresh cracked pepper preferred)
- Olive oil
- 1 large onion, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 carrots, chopped in inch long pieces
- 3 cubes of beef bouillon
- 3 cups water
- YIELD: 4 Servings
- PREP: 25 mins
- COOK: 3 hrs 30 mins
- READY IN: 3 hrs 55 mins
- Trim the fat off of the short ribs (just the big thick sections of white fat). When you are buying short ribs, look for thicker pieces with less fat on them.
- Season the meat generously with salt and pepper
- Brown the meat on all sides (except the bone side) in a hot pan over medium high heat to get a nice sear. Saute the onions at the same time and add another tablespoon of olive oil.
- Mix the beef bouillon with hot water, mix and add to your pan. Scrape up all the bits off the bottom of your pan. Add carrots.
- Cover and put in oven at 350 for 3 1/2 hours.
- Remove from oven and take the short ribs out of the dutch oven. Turn the oven up to 450 degrees. Coat all sides generously with the hoisin sauce, set on a baking sheet lined with foil and put back in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy. Here I sauteed some mushrooms in a little soy sauce but if you’re not a mushroom fan skip this. I actually prefer this dish without the mushrooms.
- CUISINE: American
- COURSE: Entrée
- SKILL LEVEL: Moderate